Monolith, the developers behind the upcoming working title, Shadow of War has spoken out about the impending system of microtransactions set to launch with the game. In an announcement entitled Introducing the Market, the studio set out to clarify in some capacity how the game will integrate microtransactions without a detriment to gameplay.
In the announcement, Monolith states that “players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles (accessed only with an internet connection)”. An extended explanation into what these include works as follows:
• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.
Players can acquire the in-game drops via two methods. The titles in-game currency, Mirian, which can be obtained by playing through the game. Defeating such enemies as Treasure Orcs, destroying gear and finding hidden stashes will all reward the player with a flow of Mirian (However, at what rate is still unknown). The second method for purchasing the in-game boosts comes in the form of gold. Monolith have stated that Gold can be obtained in various ways, including:
• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
• Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
• Awarded for participating in community challenges.
At this stage, Monolith have confirmed that the purchase of Gold won’t give you an edge throughout your time with the game, however, it seems that that alternative methods for acquiring Loot Chests will take significantly longer. At present, Monolith are yet to communicate the costs that players will incur if they wish to use real money to purchase gold. For a full list of announcement details you can check out the official announcements page for Shadow of War.